Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy birthday to me

"Another year has passed me by. Still I look at myself and sigh. What kind of man have I become?"

In less than four hours, I will be another year older. More often, birthdays are contemplative times for me. My conscience compels me to examine where I am, who I am, and what I'm doing on a much deeper level than I normally do.

I made a HUGE lifestyle change three years ago. I left my well-paying career, quit smoking, and sacrificed my pursuit of luxury in order to be an "at-home-mom" and become a more faceted person. I wanted the richness in my life to be represented by family, friendship, love, community and spirit.

No, it hasn't been easy and, no matter how detailed the plan, things have not always worked out the way I thought they would.

But, my children know that I love them, not because I buy them something every time we go into a store. They know I love them because I am there for them. Every minute. Every day. And they show me that's important to them. I wouldn't trade that for all the money in the world.

I think this year, I'm giving myself a solid B.

Oh by the way, I have not resumed my "faster than a speeding bullet" weight loss medication. Still have high blood pressure. However, I lost an additional five pounds which brings me to 20 in six weeks.

"Live long and prosper. Peace and long life."


No comments:

Post a Comment