Sunday, August 21, 2011

Anyone Can Cook

I have only made soup twice using someone else's recipe and failed miserably at it. I've never made a broth based soup. Yet, I really had a taste for Chicken Tortilla Soup and was determined to make it. Sans the tortilla. I found a recipe on line and (greatly) adapted it using only the ingredients I like.

The result? A surprisingly (for me) delicious chicken & rice soup loaded with "south of the border" flavor and heat.

Below is the recipe for my Mexican Chicken & Rice Soup. I used a slow cooker.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb shredded grilled chicken
1 can Ro*tel diced tomatoes with green chilies
32 oz all-natural chicken stock (I used Rachel Ray Stock-In-A-Box)
2 cups water
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 6-7 hours.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment